Questions & Answers

Volunteer FD FAQ's


Q.: How old do I have to be to join? 

A.: While we prefer members to be over 21 for driving and insurance purposes, members must be at least 18 years of age. 

Q: Do I need training to fight fires?

A: Yes, in order to make an interior attack on a structure fire, you must meet a min. of FF1 qualifications. However in many cases you start out under supervision assisting fire ground operations and fighting other non-structural types of fires without requiring an official certification.

Q: Do I need medical training to be on your fire department?

A: No, although we highly encourage it as you must have a current medical certification with the Texas Department of State Health Services (TDSHS) to respond on any medical first responder specific calls. 

Q: How many medical certifications are there in the state of Texas? 

A: There are a total of 5 EMS medical certifications. These are from lowest to highest level of practice: EMR, EMT-B, AEMT, EMT-P & LP. 

Q: Do I need a certain class of drivers license to drive a firetruck? 

A: Both our fire engine and water tender have a weight greater than 26,001 lbs, which we require a Class B drivers license to operate. Rescue 15 and Attack 15 are considered fast attack trucks, and can technically be operated with a Class C, however we still prefer a Class B for liability purposes. Many times we start members out training with our smaller apparatus if they have no previous experience.

This will be updated over time, if you think of any other questions we should add, or if you have any other questions, feel free to contact us. 

CCVFD Broadcastify Feed